Twitter’s best practices cite a Buddy Media research report that 100 characters or less is the ideal length of a tweet. The findings are consistent with a Track Social study on 100 well-known brands that are popular on twitter; the sweet spot seems to be 70 to 100 characters and that’s when you are most likely to be re-tweeted.
What about Facebook? Up to 80 characters can get you 66% more engagement than a longer post. Facebook friends who are in the habit of penning long posts, please note…
Here’s some related trivia on ideal lengths:
- Blogs: 1,000 words (not characters)
- Google+ headline: 60 characters
- Headlines in general: six words
- Paragraph width: 40 to 55 characters
- Email subject: 28 to 39 characters
- Presentations: max 18 minutes (remember TED talks?)
Lots more detail in this FastCompany article.