I am an Apple fan. I have always admired Steve Jobs. I work on a Mac. I do most of my reading on the iPad, bar quality fiction/non-fiction. But I don’t have an iPhone. I am the last of a dying breed that still uses a BB. I’ve been meaning to change but Steve Jobs passing away made me hesitate. Without him, will it really be the same company?
And then came Samsung, with a well-orchestrated attack on the iPhone. So for the last year or so I have been dithering, Galaxy or iPhone, Android or iOS? I’ve read the literature and all the reviews and just when I am on the brink of deciding (in favor of the iPhone, usually) along comes a new Galaxy. Apple meanwhile has moved far away from the spirit of Steve Jobs; incremental improvements define them now, not revolutionary change.
- S4 has a built-in infra-red blaster that can be used as a universal TV remote.
- It has an NFC for mobile payments and swapping content between phones.
- You can add a micro SD card; 32 GB of memory for about 20 dollars!
- Has a replaceable battery. Carry a spare one if you are a heavy user.
- It can play full 1080 pixel high-definition video.
- The 5 inch display makes video watching and surfing a real treat.
- It has something called Group Play. Sounds naughty, but it isn’t.
- You can erase blurry or unclear figures in photos.
- Smart Stay keeps the screen lit while you are looking at it.
- Uses a standard micro USB plug. Much easier to get than the Lightning port.
I am on the brink of doing the hitherto unthinkable, deserting Apple. But Samsung has a do a bit more, just a wee bit more now.